Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Newbie


As I write this, I am sitting staring out the parsonage window at the Church, where I serve as pastor. Its a view that urges me to contemplate how I got here. This will be my first convention as a "rostered delegate". At the 2008 convention I came as a seminary intern, and at the 2006 convention, I was a youth delegate (well... youthish I guess).

What I have noticed is that officially joining synod is like officially joining a new congregation. There is a bit of a fresh meat attitude out there, which results in ideas like, "Hey, lets get the new guy to do that! He isn't burn out, tired and cynical yet!". (Just kidding! I think its obvious I am those things already... okay, just kidding again). Thankfully, I have some help from the other newbs with the convention powerpoint, worship and late night music, and workshop presentations.

I also know, that there is a lot of work going on from many, many people in Camrose and around the Synod to put this all together and to make a great experience for all!

My hope is that as we gather in convention as the Synod of Alberta and the Territories, that we can find common passions and vision for the church. Over the last years, its been hard to see into the future together. The issues of day and immediate concerns (especially financial) tend to dominate. But I get a feeling is a sense of urgency around these parts to get on with life, and to get on with preaching the Gospel.

I am optimistic and excited for what is to come in the next days of convention.

Peace,

Pastor Erik

No comments:

Post a Comment